Wanted to work for the core engineering departments but worried about the industry growth and job opportunities? This article will help you to get a complete understanding of the core industries in India as well as the job opportunities that are available for the freshers.
One of the oldest and broadest fields of engineering, Mechanical engineering deals with the design, construction, and use of machines. The programme endows students with a basic understanding, and knowledge of how heavy tools and machinery work. A student pursuing a mechanical engineering programme will acquire knowledge about designing automobiles, electric motors, aircraft, and other heavy vehicles.
Mechanical engineers design everything from new batteries, athletic equipment to medical devices and personal computers, air conditioners, automobile engines to electric power plants. These engineers also design machines that produce these innovations.
SCOPE OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING IN CORE INDUSTRY
The scope of a mechanical engineering career in India and abroad is huge, as mechanical engineering touches almost each and every aspect of our lives in one way or the other. Spanning multiple industries, the career opportunities for students pursuing the program is vast and diverse.
Core industries can be defined as the main or key industries of the economy. In most countries, these industries are the backbone of all other sectors.
The ‘Eight Core Industries’ are:
- Refinery products
- Crude oil
- Natural gas and
The Index of ‘Eight Core Industries’ is a monthly production index, which is also considered as a lead indicator of the monthly industrial performance. Index of Industrial Production (IIP) is an index that tracks manufacturing activity in different sectors of an economy. The IIP number measures the industrial production for the period under review, usually a month, as against the reference period. IIP is a key economic indicator of the manufacturing sector of the economy.
GROWTH OF CORE SECTOR IN THE YEAR 2020
India’s core sector expanded by 2.2% in January, a mild increase from 2.1% in December, data released by the commerce and industry ministry. The eight infrastructure industries grew by 1.5% in January last year.The growth was aided by increased output in five out of eight industries — coal, refineries, steel, cement, and electricity. The production of coal, refinery products, and electricity grew by 8%, 1.9% and 2.8%, respectively.
JOB OPPORTUNITY FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERS IN GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS
There are plenty of mechanical engineering career opportunities for mechanical engineering in Government and PSU such as:
- VIZAG STEEL
These are some of the Central Government jobs for mechanical engineers, which can be obtained only through the GATE exam.
KNOW HOW ‘SVCE’ CAN HELP YOU PURSUE YOUR DREAM CAREER IN THE CORE INDUSTRY–
WHY CHOOSE MECHANICAL ENGINEERING AT SVCE?
- The department of Mechanical engineering is one of the most sought after departments at SVCE.
- The department was started in 1984, right from the inception of the college.
- The B.E. Mechanical Engineering programme has been accredited continuously from the year 1998 by the National Board of Accreditation.
- Over 65% of the faculty are doctorates and remaining are pursuing a Ph.D.
- The department houses a Centre of Excellence in Composite fabrication and advanced machining, Tribology research, 3D Printing & Automation, and Engine testing.
- Dedicated world-class research labs in the field of Vibrations, Bio-Fuels, I.C. Engines, Fiber Reinforced Plastics, Nano-materials are available for students to do research and projects to enhance their technical knowledge.
- The department also takes up a consultancy in the field of bio-diesel testing, welding, vibration analysis, wear analysis, machining of materials, and processing of composite materials.
- On average, over 50 companies visit SVCE for campus placements.
- Companies like Tafe, Western Thomson, Brakes India Ltd, India Piston rings, etc., often request the department faculty members to give technical training to their staff.
AN OVERVIEW OF THE LIST OF CORE COMPANIES WHO HAVE VISITED SVCE IN THE PAST (Partial List)
ABB India Limited
Accuspeed Engineering Services India Limited
Adani Port Ltd.,
Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd.
Akamai Technologies India Pvt. Ltd.
APA Engineering Ltd.,
Arjun Chemicals Ltd.
Ashok Leyland Ltd.
Berger Paints Ltd.,
BGR Energy Ltd.,
Bharat Electronics Ltd.,
Brakes India Ltd
Delphi TVS Ltd.
Dow Chemicals Ltd.
Elgi Equipments Ltd.
Fisher Chennai Engineering Ltd.,
FLSmidth Private Limited
Ford India Pvt. Ltd.
Ford Technologies Ltd.
General Motors India Pvt. Ltd.
GoFrugal Technology Ltd
Hinduja Foundaries Ltd.
Huawei Communications Ltd.
Hyundai Motor Engg Ltd, Hydrabad.
Hyundai Motors I Ltd.,
KCC Paints Ltd.
Kirloskar Brother Ltd.,
L & T ECC Division
L & T Engineering Services Ltd.
L & T Infra Ltd.
L & T Ltd.,
Lucas TVS Ltd.,
Madras Cements Ltd.
Magna Automotive Ltd.,
Mitsubishi Motors Ltd.
MK Autocomponent Ltd.,
MK Autocomponent Ltd.,
Mobis India Ltd.,
Nippon paints Ltd.
NSK Bearing Ltd.,
Petro6 Engineering & Construction Ltd.,
RAMCO Systems Ltd.
Renault Nissan Automotive India Private Limited
Royal Enfield Ltd .,
Royal Enfield Ltd.
Saint Gobain Glass Pvt Ltd.,
Sanmar Groups Ltd.,
Schwing Stetter India Ltd.,
Sundaram Clyton Ltd.
Sundaram Fasterner Ltd.
Super Auto Forge Ltd.,
T I Cycles Ltd.
Tata Chemicals Ltd.,
Thirumalai Chemicals Ltd.
TITAN Industries Ltd.
Toshiba Machines Ltd.,
Turbo Energy Ltd.
TVS Motor Company Ltd.
Valeo India Ltd.
Visteon Automotive ltd.
Wheels India Ltd.,
Yamaha Motors Ltd.,