The programme aims to inculcate social welfare in students and to provide service to society without bias. NSS volunteers work to ensure that everyone who is needy gets help to enhance their standard of living and lead a life of dignity. In doing so, volunteers learn from people in villages how to lead a good life despite a scarcity of resources. It also provides help in natural and man-made disasters by providing food,clothing and first aid to the disaster victims.
OBJECTIVES OF NSS
- To work with/among people.
- To engage in creative and constructive social media.
- To enhance his/her knowledge of himself/herself and the community.
- To put his/her scholarship to practical use in mitigating at least some of the difficulties.
- To gain skill in the exercise of democratic leadership.
- To gain skills in programme development to enable him/her for self-employment.
- To bridge the gulf between the educated and the uneducated masses.
- To promote the will to serve the weaker section of the community.
DUTIES OF NSS VOLUNTEERS:
- To establish rapport with the people in the project area.
- Identify needs,problems and resources of the community.
- Plan programmes and carry out them.
- Relate his learning and experience towards finding solutions to the problems indentifies.
- Record the activities in his work diary systematically and assess the progress periodically and effect changes as and when needed.
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR NSS VOLUNTEERS:
- All volunteers should work under the guidance of a group leader nominated by the programme officer.
- They shall make themselves worthy of the confidence and cooperation of the group/community leadership.
- They shall scrupulously avoid entering into any controversial issues.
- They shall keep day-to-day record of their activities/experience.
- Its an obligatory on the part of every volunteer to wear the NSS BADGE while on work.