The Department of English was established in 1985 along with the other departments. It was then headed by Mr K R Lakshmi Narayanan. In its progress, it grew up to be The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences in 1995. The department is presently headed by Prof Dr T Murugavel. The department focuses not only on traditional and contemporary language classes but also on providing a dynamic education through platforms such as Speakers’ Forum – a center for debaters and speakers, Phoenix – a periodical magazine for writers and CTS sponsored CELL – Centre for English Language Learning – exclusive for students from non-english medium instruction schools. The department also offers special coaching classes after college hours till 5 pm everyday for those who want to improve their proficiency through ‘Let’s Speak English’ programme, an initiative by Speakers’ Forum, thereby making them interview/industry-ready. All the initiatives intend to develop among students a fundamental understanding of the language and expression of thoughts and in the process, make them better individuals.
• Provide standard English education and training to learners, with special attention to regional medium students
• Make them aware of societal needs besides self improvement
• To educate and train learners to use English effectively as a communication medium.
• To develop confidence as users of English.
• To think freely, critically, clearly
• To express lucidly and boldly
• To make students interview-ready.
Extra-Mural Support by the Department:
• Provides TOEFL/GRE/GMAT coaching.
• Offers training to improve language proficiency based on participants’ needs.
• Offers individual coaching to the needy.
• Trains students for Group Discussion and Brainstorming Sessions for interview purposes.