|Areas of Interest||Power Electronics and Drives
Renewable Energy Systems
|Room No.||Room No 3111, EEE Dept
|Email Id (Official)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Email Id (Personal)||email@example.com|
Ph.D (Power Electronics and Drives) from Anna University,Guindy, January-2012
M.Tech(Industrial Drives) from Malnad College of Engg, Hassan, affiliated to Visveswaraiah Technological University, Karnataka, June 2003
B.E (Electrical Engineering) from The Institution of Engineers, India, May 1996
Membership in Technical Societies/Professional Bodies
|Name of the Society and the type of membership||Membership Number or
and Remarks on
|1||Institution of Engineers (India), Kolkatta||Fellow (F-118681-3)||Life|
|2||Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers,
|3||Indian Society for Technical Education, New Delhi||Life Member(LM42197/2004)||Life|
|4||Indian Science Congress Association||Life Member ( L 20011)||Life|
|5||Solar Energy Society of India||Life Member (LM/1835/2012)||Life|
|6||International Association of Engineers (IAENG)||Life member 140263||Life|
|7||IEEE||Member 140263||for the year 2013-2015|
Presently working as a Professor in EEE Dept, Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering, Sriperumbudur,Chennai from May 2013.
Worked as Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Professor and HOD in EEE Dept in various Engineering colleges from 1997 onwards.
EEE Subjects, ME PED subjects
Special Electrical Machines
Design of Electrical apparatus
Solid state Drives
Transmission and Distribution
Digital Signal processing
Microprocessor and Microcontroller Applications
Expert system and Fuzzy logic
Analysis of Inverter
Analysis of converter
Advanced Semiconductor Devices
Solid State AC Drives
Solid State DC Drives
Discrete Control System
Simulation Lab (PSCAD, ORCAD, MATLAB)
Research Proposal received and completed:02
Research Paper Published in Journals:41 , Conferences:15
No of students Ph.D Guiding :5
No of students Ph.D completed:3
Research and Development Project:
(1) Received and completed R & D Funded Project Title :Performance analysis of Switched Reluctance Motor Drive for Electric Vehicle Application with DSP, Amount: Rs 1,00,000/- from the Institution of Engineers (India), in 2017
(2) Received and completed R & D Funded Project Title: Design and implementation of reduced switch cascaded multilevel inverter, Amount: Rs 80,000/- from the Institution of Engineers (India), in 2014.
Ph.D Research Scholars Guiding: 08
No of PG Students guided: 13
Editor and Reviewer
- Reviewed the book, Control System” written by Manjita Srivastava, MC Srivastava and Smriti Bhatnagar, by Tata MCGraw- Hill publishing Company limited.
- Editorial board member of the Journal of “International Journal of Electric Power and Energy” (IJEPE)
- Reviewed the Three research papers of “International Journal of Power Electronics and Drives”in the year 2014 and 2016
- Reviewed the One research papers of “Progress in Photo voltaics: Research and Applications” in the year 2014
- Reviewer of the Journal International Journal of Automation and computing
- “Application of Control System Engineering” MNM Jain engineering college , Thoraipakkam, Chennai-600097, 8th February 2013
- “Power Quality improvement” seminar on Power Quality, VIT Chennai,01.10.2013
- “ Power Quality and its issues” Saveetha University, Thandalam, Chennai, 12.09.2014
- “ Z-Transform and Properties” Anna University sponsored FDTP, Velammal Engineering College, Surapet, Chennai, 19.12.2015
- “Overview of Control System Engineering and its application” MNM Jain engineering college , Thoraipakkam, Chennai-600097, 23rd September 2016
- “Fuzzy logic controller and its applications” National Seminar on Fuzzy Set and its applications in Science and Engineering, SVCE, Chennai, 14th February 2017
- “ Classical set, Fuzzy Set and Fuzzy rules” Anna University sponsored FDTP , Velammal Engineering College, Surapet, Chennai, 14th June 2017
- “State Transition matrix Solutions to State and output equations” Anna University sponsored FDTP, Easwari Engineering College, Chennai, 17th June 2017.
- “Research Proposal Writing” National Workshop on Research Methodology, Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering, Chennai, 19th August 2017
- Judge for technical paper technical symposium “SYNCHRON-17” conducted by Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering of Misrimal Navajee Munoth Jain Engineering College, Thoraipakkam, Chennai-97, on 15.09.2017.
- Chair person in a session, National level Conference NCAEEE-2017,NCAEEE-2016, SVCE, Sriperumbudur
- Chair person in a session, IEEE international conference on Computation systems in Engineering and Technology,SVCE,
- Chair person in a session, Second International Conference on Electrical Energy Systems ICEES 2014, SSN College of Engineering, Jan 2014, Chennai, Tamilnadu
- Chair person in a session, Joint International Conference on ICAIECES-2016 & ICPCIT, organized by EEE Dept, SRM University, Kattankulanthur, Chennai
- Judge for Paper presentation event of National level Technical Symposium, SYNCHRON-14, organized by EEE Dept, MNM Jain Engineering College, Thoraipakkam, Chennai-600097.
- Chair person in a session, International Conference (ICPERES 2014), organized by EEE Dept, Rajalaxmi Engineering College, Thandalam, Chennai, April- 2014,
- Chair person in a session Joint International Conference on Communication, Computing and Power Technologies and Artificial Intelligence and Evolutionary Computations in Engineering Systems, 22nd & 23rd Apr 2015
- Kavaskar Sekar and Nalin Kant Mohanty “A fuzzy rule base approach for High Impedance Fault detection in distribution system using Morphology Gradient filter” , Elsevier, Journal of King Saud University – Engineering Sciences-Inpress.SCI indexed, IF-2.00
- Kavaskar Sekar and Nalin Kant Mohanty “Detection of High Impedance Fault in Distribution Networks” Elsevier, Ain Shams Engineering Journal-In press.SCI indexed, IF-1.52.
- Kavaskar Sekar and Nalin Kant Mohanty “Data mining-based high impedance fault detection using mathematical morphology” Elsevier, Computers and Electrical Engineering Vol 69 (2018) pp 129-141.SCI indexed, IF-1.57.
- G Muralikrishnan and Nalin Kant Mohanty, “Modified Shunt Active Line Conditioner Using Enhanced Self-restoring Technique with Step Size Error Elimination Algorithm” Proceedings of ICICA 2018, Springer Link, Pages 237-259, Scopus indexed
- Kavaskar Sekar, Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ashwin Kumar Sahoo “High Impedance Fault Detection using Wavelet Transform”, IEEE-Xplore:11 June 2018, DOI:10.1109/ICSESP.2018.8376740 Scopus indexed
- D. Amudhavalli , Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ashwin Kumar Sahoo “High Power High Gain Non-Isolated Interleaved Quadratic Boost Converter with Voltage Multiplier Cell” IEEE-Xplore:11 June 2018, DOI:10.1109/ICSESP.2018.8376736 Scopus indexed
- Kavaskar Sekar and Nalin Kant Mohanty “Combined Mathematical Morphology and Data Mining Based High Impedance Fault Detection” Elsevier, Energy Procedia Volume 117,June 2017, pp 417-423, Scopus indexed
- C.Kannan, Nalin Kant Mohanty and R.Selvarasu “A new topology for cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter with PI and Fuzzy control” Elsevier, Energy Procedia, Volume 117,June 2017, pp 917-926, Scopus indexed
- G.Muralikrishnan and N.K.Mohanty “Fundamental Sequence Component Based Hysteresis Current Controlled MSALC” Elsevier, Energy Procedia,Volume 117,June 2017,pp1093-1100. Scopus indexed
- Jeffy Felcia Sharon and Nalin Kant Mohanty “Simulation of Switched Reluctance Motor Drive for Electric Vehicle Application” International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering Vol. 6, Special Issue 2, March 2017 pp 312-317- Scopus indexed
- Ashwin Kumar Sahoo , Sarat Kumar Sahu and Nalin kant Mohanty, “Modeling and Simulation of Three Phase D-SVC for Load ” International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive System (IJPEDS), 8, No. 1, March 2017, pp. 262~271,ISSN: 2088-8694. Scopus indexed
- Saswati Behera and Nalin kant Mohanty “A FIS-GA combined approach for transmission congestion management in restructured power system” J. Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Optimisation, Vol. 7, Nos. 3/4, 2016, PP- 307-322,ISSN online: 2040-3615, ISSN print: 2040-3607 –Scopus indexed
- N K Mohanty & Madhusudhanan S “Simulation of Fuzzy and PI control of Asymmetric Bridge Converter fed Switched Reluctance Motor Drive” International Journal of Control Theory and Applications, 9(13) 2016, pp. 6047-6056, ISSN : 0974-5572-Scopus indexed
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and P Elangovan, “PI Controlled Active Front End Super-Lift Converter with Ripple Free DC Link for Three Phase Induction Motor Drives” Journal of PowerElectronics, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 190-204, January 2016. (SCI Thomson Reuters Impact factor: 0.777 and Scopus indexed)
- Ashwin Kumar Sahoo , Nalinikanta Mohanty, and Anupriya M, “Modeling and Simulation of Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage Systems” International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive System (IJPEDS), 6, No. 3, September 2015, pp. 524~537,ISSN: 2088-8694. Scopus indexed.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty, C. Nithyanandam and G. Baskar “Design and fabrication of the passive solar still using blue metal stone”, International Journal of Ambient Energy’ ISSN no: 0143-0750 (Print), 2162-8246 (Online) Taylor & Francis, 2015, 04 Sep 2015, pp 1-7. Scopus indexed.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and P.Elangovan, “A Novel Active Front End Topology for Three Phase Induction Motor Drives Using Super-Lift Converter” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, ISSN 0973-4562 Vol. 10 No.55 (2015), pp 3067-3072. Scopus indexed
- Shifa S and Nalin Kant Mohanty and “An Ac-DC Full Bridge Single Stage Topology for Power factor Correction Using ANN based controller” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, ISSN 0973-4562, Vol 10, No 36, 2015, Scopus indexed
- P Elangovan and Nalin Kant Mohanty “ Implementation of Advanced DC-DC Converter in front end of Induction Motor Drives” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, ISSN 0973-4562, Vol 10, No 36, 2015, Scopus indexed
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and P Elangovan, FPGA Based V/f Control of Three Phase Induction Motor Integrating Super-Lift Luo Converter, “ International Journal of Power Electronics and drives” ISSN No. 2088-8694, special issue Adv Machine drives, Vol-5, No.3, pp 393-403,2015.Scopus indexed.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Laksmi Sankar S “Implementation of a fifteen level Generalized Cascaded Asymmetrical Multilevel Inverter with Reduced Number of Switches,” Journal of Emerging Technologies Image Processing & Net working, ISSN No. 0973-2993, Volume 8 Issue III, pp67-72,2014.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and S. Nagarajan “Simulation of Fuzzy logic Controller of MPPT using cuk Converter Application to PV cells, International Journal of Intelligent computing and applied sciences, ISSN-2322-0031, Issue2, 2013, Vol-1, pp-67-73.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and G. Nagarajan “Simulation of Fuzzy logic Control based MPPT using cuk Converter, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, ISSN 0973-4562, Vol 10, No 63, 2015, pp 159-164 Scopus indexed
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Simulation and Experimental based four switch three phase Inverter Fed Induction Motor Drive” World Journal of Modeling and simulation, ISSN 1 746-7233, Vol. 9 (2013) No. 2, pp. 83-88 May-2013,( Scopus Indexed) England, UK
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Implementation of DSP Based Cost Effective Inverter Fed Induction Motor Drive with VisSim” Journal of Electrical Engineering ISSN- 1335-3632, Vol 63, No-2, pp 115-119, April-2012 (SCI Thomson Reuters Impact factor: 0.278 and Scopus indexed).Slovakia
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu “A Proto Type FPGA Based Reduced Switch Three Phase Inverter Fed Induction Motor Drive” Journal of Electrical Engineering ISSN 1582- 4594, Vol.12, No-2, June-2012,( Scopus Indexed), Romania
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Implementation of Sinusoidal PWM Based Three Phase Four Switch Inverter Fed Induction Motor Drive Using FPGA”, International Review of Electrical Engineering ISSN 1827-6660, Part A, V 5, No. 5, pp. 2033-2038, 2010.(SCI Thomson Reuters Impact factor: 1.364 and Scopus indexed). Italy
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “A Novel Implementation of Xilinx FPGA Based Four Switch Three Phase IGBT Inverter Fed Induction Motor Drive Using PWM”, European Journal of Scientific Research, ISSN 1450-216X, Vol. 48, No. 3,pp. 424-433, 2011. (Scopus Indexed). UK
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Implementation of PI Controlled DSP Based Cost Effective Inverter Fed Speed Control of Induction Motor Drive with VisSim/ECD” International Journal of Physical Sciences, ISSN 1992-1950. Vol 6, Number 20, pp. 4790-4797, 2011. (SCI Thomson Reuters Impact factor: 0.54 and Scopus indexed).
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Microcontroller Based PWM Controlled Four Switch Three Phase Inverter Fed Induction Motor Drive”, Serbian Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 195-204, 2010. Serbia
- Nalin Kant Mohanty, Ranganath Muthu and Dash, S.S. “Simulation of Dual Z-Source Input 3-Phase Inverter Fed Induction Motor Drive”, International Journal of Electrical Engineering and Embedded System, Vol. 1, pp. 15-20, 2009.India
- Nalin Kant Mohanty, Ranganath Muthu and Senthil Kumaran “A Survey on Controlled AC Electrical Drives” International Journal of Electrical and Power Engineering,Volume: 3, Issue: 3, PP: 175-183,2009.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Digital Simulation of Voltage Fed Z-Source, 3-Phase, 4-switch Inverter for Induction Motor Drive”, International Conference on Power Electronic Drives and Power Systems (POWER COIN-08), Sona College of Technology, Salem, Tamilnadu, India, p. 41, 2008.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Simulation of high power factor operation of three phase squirrel cage induction motor drive”, International Conference on Energy Engineering (ICEE-09), Pondichery Engineering College, Pondichery, pp. 472-476, 2009.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Harmonic comparison of high power factor injected three phase six switch and three phase four switch fed squirrel cage induction motor drives”, International conference on Electrical Energy Systems and Power Electronics in Emerging Economics (ICEESPEEE 2009), SRM University, Kattankulanthur, pp. 569-573,
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Shifa.S “ AC-DC Full bridge Single stage Topology for power Factor correction in, IEEE International conference on Innovations in Information, Embedded and Communication System ( ICIIECS-2015), Karpagam College of Engineering, on 19th & 20th March 2015.
- Saswati Kumari Behra, Nalin Kant Mohanty and Pramod Kumar Gouda “ENERGY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM IN INTERNET OF THINGS PLATFORM” International Intellectual Convergence on Advances Science and Engineering (IIASE- 2017) Aalim Muhammed Salegh College of Engineering, Avadi, Chennai
- Kavaskar Sekar, Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ashwin Kumar Sahoo “High Impedance Fault Detection using Wavelet Transform”, IEEE international conference on technologies for smart city energy security and power at CV raman college of engineering, Bhubaneswar, during 28-30 March 2018.
- D. Amudhavalli , Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ashwin Kumar Sahoo “High Power High Gain Non-Isolated Interleaved Quadratic Boost Converter with Voltage Multiplier Cell” IEEE international conference on technologies for smart city energy security and power at CV Raman college of engineering, Bhubaneswar, during 28-30 March 2018
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Simulation of Dual Z-Source Input 3-Phase Inverter Fed Induction Motor Drive”, Second National Conference on Computational Intelligence in Power Systems(CIPS-09), April 18-19, 2008, SRM University, India, pp. 577-581, 2008.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “Simulation of High Power Factor Injected Z-Source Based Four Switch Three-Phase Inverter Fed Adjustable Induction Motor Drive”, 1st All Indial seminar on Applied Power Electronics (APE-09) 24th-25th January 2009, NIT, Rourkela, Orissa, pp-63-68, 2009.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu, “A Simulation of High Power Factor Injected Four Switch Three-Phase Inverter Fed Adjustable Induction Motor Drive”, National conference on Power electronics and Renewable Energy Systems (PEARES-09), March 19-21, 2009, SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam-603110,TN, 2009.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and T Srikanth Cascaded Multilevel inverter Using Phase disposition Technique” National conference on Recent trends in power system, power electronics and Drives, April 16-17, 2010, SSN College of Engineering, Kalavakkam-603110,TN.
- Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ranganath Muthu “A Survey on Controlled AC Electrical Drives” National Seminar on Soft computing in Engineering Applications,Krupajal Engineering College, Bhubaneswar, 5th-7th Dec 2008.
- Nalin kant Mohanty Performance Analysis of SRM drive for Electrical Vechicles Application with DSP, presented in EET CRS science and technology presentation in Mumbai on 10.12.2017.
- D. Amudhavalli, Nalin Kant Mohanty and Ashwin Kumar Sahoo, Simulation of Energy stored Quadratic boost converter for standalone photovoltaics,GCE, KEONJHAR, ODISHA,NCRATEEIT-2018 During 29-30th October 2018
- R. Aakash and Nalin Kant Mohanty, Simulation of High Gain DC-DC converter for standalone Photovoltaic Application.GCE, KEONJHAR, ODISHA,NCRATEEIT-2018 During 29-30th October 2018
- Ashwin Kumar Sahoo, Jagadish Chandra Pati and Nalin Kant Mohanty, Coordinated Control of thyristor based FACTS Devices – PSCAD/EMDTC Approach, GCE, KEONJHAR, ODISHA, NCRATEEIT-2018 During 29-30th October 2018
|Sl No.||Title of the article||Name of the Publisher|
|1||Circuit Theory, Book for BE students||Sai Publisher, Chennai, ISBN No: 978-93-82010-29-6|
Conferences, Workshops and FDTP Conducted:
Conducted National Workshop in “Research Methodology” on 19th August 2017 as a coordinator in SVCE.
Conducted National Workshop on “Matlab application to Power Electronics and Power System” on Oct 27th and 28th , 2015 as a coordinator in SVCE
Conducted National Level conference on Advances in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, NCAEEE-2015, on 17th & 18th April 2015
Conducted FDTP on Discrete Time Signal and Signal Processing from 3rd to 10th December 2014, with sponsorship amount Received Rs 22,000/- from Anna University, Chennai.
Conducted National Workshop in Matlab application to Electrical Engineering on Oct 18-19, 2014 as a coordinator in SVCE
Conducted International Workshop in Electrical Safety on 27rd and 28th January 2014 as a coordinator in SVCE.
Conducted National Workshop in Soft Computing Control Applications to Renewable Energy Systems on Oct 18-19, 2013 as a coordinator in SVCE
Conducted National level CSIR Sponsored Conference (sponsorship received Rs 30,000) as a Convener AEEA-2013 in Velammal Institute of Technology, Panchetti on 3rd and 4th January 2013.
Conducted DRDO sponsored (sponsorship received Rs 30,000), Workshop on Soft Computing Control Applications Power Electronics and power system on 23rd and 24th January 2013 as Convener, in Velammal Institute of Technology.
Conferences, Workshops and FDTP Attended:
|Sl||Title of Programme||From||To||Conducted By||Sponsored|
|1||Role Of Solid State Controllers And
Embedded systems in Power Systems
|07-11-04||20-11-04||K C Technology, Coimbatore.||AICTE-ISTE|
|2||Advanced Power Converters For
Special Electric Drives
|19-07-06||21-07-06||Kongu Engg College. Erode||AICTE|
|3||MATLAB And its Application||01-12-07||02-12-07||National ITTTR,
|4||A short term training program on
“Soft Computing skills Applied
to Electrical Engineering”
|26-05-08||04-06-08||SRM University.||AICTE & ISTE|
|5||A short term training program on
“FACTS Devices & Applications”
|23-06-08||27-06-08||MNIT Bhopal||AICTE & ISTE|
|6||Workshop on Research opportunities
in VLSI and Applied Electronics
|29-08-08||29-08-08||SSN College of Engg.||Self supporting|
|7||Advanced Control & Signal Processing
Techniques with Applications
|8||National level workshop on
Simulation Softwares for Engineering
|10-12-09||11-12-09||SRM University, Chennai||Self supporting|
|9||Educators Day 2009 the annual
technical forum for faculty and
|15-10-09||National Instruments||National Instruments|
|10||98th Indian Science congress||3-01-11||7-01-11||SRM University||SRM University|
|11||Seminar on MATLAB and Simulink
for Engineering Education
|16-03-11||Mathworks India||Mathworks India|
|12||High Impact Teaching Skills||28-03-11||29-03-11||Mission-10X, WIPRO||WIPRO|
|13||Mission 10X workshop||28-03-11||01-04-11||Mission-10X, WIPRO||ISTE
|14||A short term training program on
“Embedded system and its application
to Power Electronics”
|12-12-2011||23-12-2011||Velammal Engineering College, , Chennai||AICTE|
|15||Research Methodology ,Quality,
Curriculum update, Evaluation and
Collaborative partnership between
India and UK
|16||Workshop on “R& D project
proposals-Awareness, Needs and
|28th June-2013||–||Anna University,
|Anna University, Chennai|
|17||Workshop on “Building Capacity in
|11-8-2014||12-8-2014||International Education Consulting Company||DEAKIN University, Australia|
|18||Workshop on “Curriculum Alignment
of TNOU Vocational Education Programmes”
|13-11-2014||14-11-2014||TNOU and NSDC||TNOU and NSDC|
|19||FDP on “Meta-Heuristic Techniques in
Smart Power System Operation,
Control and Protection”
|01-05-2017||06-05-2017||VSSUT, Burla, Odisha||QIP-AICTE|
|20||Workshop on “ Writing Research
|21|| Faculty Development Programme
on Power Converters,
Control and Grid Integration
of Renewable Energy Sources
|15-11-17||29-11.17|| Department of EEE ,
SSN College of Engineering,
Kalavakkam – 603 110
1.Renewable Energy system -Incharge
No of research award Received: 05
No of Research Proposal received and completed:02
No of SCI Journal published : 15
No of Scopus Journal published: 28