|Name||Dr T Murugavel|
|Designation||Professor and Head|
|Areas of Interest||
Eco-literature, Barriers in Communication, Language and Gender
|Email Id (Official)||email@example.com|
|Email Id (Personal)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
Ph.D. in English Language Teaching (Title: Problems of Non-English Medium Students in Learning Engineering Subjects in English). Pachaiyappas College University of Madras, 2005.
M.Phil, English Pachaiyappas College, University of Madras, 1989.
PG Diploma in Personnel Management and Industrial Relations Annamalai University, 1997.
Post Graduation, English Literature, Pachaiyappas College, University of Madras, 1987.
Under Graduation, Botany, Pachaiyappas College, University of Madras, 1987.
Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering (SVCE)
2009 – till date
2003 – 2009
1999 – 2003
1991 – 1999
Pachaiyappas College (evening) Chennai
1989 – 1991
Communicative English HS18151
Technical English HS18251
Interview and Career Skills GE16661
Murugavel T, “Gender-Biased Language? A Study on the Usage of Neuter-Gender Words” International Conference on English Language and Literature, Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences – 2 February 2018.
Murugavel T, “Study of Portrayal of Women in Media Especially in Advertisements “National Conference on Gender and Development held at Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development – 8&9 March 2018.
Murugavel T, “Jiddu Krishnamurty – A Person who Philosophizes Nature”- 10th National Conference On Nature, Culture, Language, And Literature – Environmental Narratives And Critical Practices– SRM University April 16&17, 2018.
Murugavel T, “Using Commercials to Teach English” 2nd National Conference on ‘New perspectives in ELT – 23rd and 24th February 2017.
Murugavel T, “Movie – a tool for Integrated Testing of Language Skills”, National Conference on Sociolinguistics, organized by Scott Christian College, Nagercoil. February 2016.
Murugavel T, “Let them Watch and Learn”, International Congress on English Grammar held at BIT, Tamilnadu, 27 31 December 2004.
Murugavel T “English for Engineering Students What? When? and Why?, 34th ELTAI Annual Conference, Women’s Christian College, Chennai on 31 January -1 February 2003.
Murugavel T Web for ESP? presented at National Seminar on CALL held at Anna University, Chennai on 12 February 2000.
Murugavel T, “Gender Differences: Challenges In Education” The Sixth International Literacy and Educational Research Network Conference, Penang, Malaysia on 27-30 September 1999
Studies in the USA? at Mahendra Engineering College, Salem, Tamilnadu, on 12 February 1999.
Murugavel T, “Education – A right to man but a privilege to woman?” International Conference on Educational Culture in the 21st Century held at Guwahati, Assam on 29-31 January 1999.
English Language Teaching, literature
Murugavel T, “ Gender Bias and Language”, City Academy, A half yearly Literary Journal 7 (1), 2002., 45-48.
Murugavel T, “Using Video”, English Teaching Professional., Issue 29 October 2003. P. 35,36.
Murugavel T, “Counseling and Oral Communication”, English Teaching Forum, July 2003. P44-45
Clement Fernando , Murugavel T , “English for Employability: A Case Study of the English Language Training Need Analysis for Engineering Students in India” , English Language Teaching, Canadian Center of Science and Education, Vol 8, No 2 (2015) p 116 – 125 http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/elt/article/view/44507/24179
Clement Fernando, Murugavel T, “ Professional Development of English Professors in Indian Engineering Colleges: The Need of the Hour English Language Teaching”, English Language Teaching, Canadian Center of Science and Education, Vol 8, No 5 (2015) p 132 – 142 http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/elt/article/view/47954
Clement, A. & Murugavel T. English Language Teaching in India: Communicative Language Teaching and Challenges. IJSR 4(8), (2015). 315-316
Clement A, Murugavel T, “English for workplace: The importance of English Language Skills for Effective Performance”. The English Classroom, Vol. 20., No.1. June 2018. P 41 – 50.
Clement A, Murugavel T “The importance of English” Modern English Teacher.Vol.28, Issue 1, January 2019. P 76 – 79.
Murugavel T, P Ganapathy “Movies: Language Learners’ Appropriate Source for Testing Learners’ LSRW”, International Conference on English Language, Literature and Linguistics, 26th July 2017 (Vol 1, Special Issue 6, ISSN: 2456-5571)
Murugavel T, P Ganapathy “MALL -The Need of the Hour in Language Teaching”, International Conference on English Language, Literature and Education, 27thJuly 2017 (Vol 4, Special Issue 11, ISSN: 2349-8684).
Nature and Environment
Ramanujam, Eric, Murugavel T,“A preliminary report on the development of young Indian Eagle Owl Bubo bengalensis (Franklin, 1831) in and around Puducherry, southern India”, Journal of Threatened Taxa., October 2009, Vol. 1 , No. 10 P. 497-540.
Murugavel T, “The Last Few Minutes of an Asian Elephant”Gajah 32, 45, 46
Murugavel T. Frozen Momemts., Scitech Publications (India)Pvt. Ltd .,Tamilnadu.2008. ISBN: 8187328088
Lakshminryanan,K.R. Murugavel T. Communication Skills for Engineers. Scitech Publications (India)Pvt. Ltd .,Tamilnadu.2008. ISBN: 9788183711548
Lakshminryanan,K.R, Murugavel T. Managing Soft Skills. Scitech Publications (India)Pvt. Ltd.
T K.R.Lakshminarayanan Murugavel T., Challenges in Written English Scitech Publications (India) Pvt Ltd, 2008 SBN 13: 9788183711159
Lakshminryanan,K.R. Murugavel T. Objective General English: for Competitive Examinations. Scitech Publications (India)Pvt. Ltd ., 2013. ISBN: 9788183711159
“Women and Challenges of Education Worlds of Learning” Globalisation and Multicultural Education, Ed. Michael Singh, Common Ground Publishing Pty Ltd., Australia 2002.
Murugavel T, “Portrayal of Women in Media – especially in Advertisements”, Women, Youth and Media Today – Ed. Gopinath.R,Sindhu.K.K 2018, 38 – 43.
Articles on Nature and Environment Conservation and Awareness in Tamil (representative list)
- காண இருக்குமா கடல் ஆமைகள்? தி இந்து – உயிர் மூச்சு May 23, 2015
( http://tamil.thehindu.com/general/environment/காண-இருக்குமா-கடல்-ஆமைகள்/article7238664.ece )
- எங்கே செல்லும் இந்த ‘கிரிவலப் பாதை’? தி இந்து – உயிர் மூச்சு July 9, 2016 (http://tamil.thehindu.com/general/environment/எங்கே-செல்லும்-இந்த-கிரிவலப்-பாதை/article8828340.ece )
- பூநாரை தேசம் தி இந்து – உயிர் மூச்சு February 25, 2014 (http://tamil.thehindu.com/general/environment/பூநாரை-தேசம்/article5723985.ece)
- விடாதே, அடி, கொல்லு… பூவுலகு 20 ஆகஸ்ட் 2009 (http://keetru.com/index.php/2009-10-07-10-31-20/2010-sp-395191199/13909-2011-04-01-08-05-58)
- கொலைகார வாகனங்கள் – காடுகளில் தொடரும் வன்முறை பூவுலகு 01 பிப்ரவரி 2010 ( http://keetru.com/index.php/2009-10-07-10-31-20/09-sp-166429298/3008-2010-02-01-10-29-10 )
- சிட்டுக்களின் அழிவும் புறாக்களின் பெருக்கமும்… பூவுலகு 21 மார்ச் 2011 ( http://keetru.com/index.php/2009-10-07-10-31-20/2010/13704-2011-03-21-07-09-00 )
- வாகனத்தை ஸ்டார்ட் செய்யும் முன்… பூவுலகு 01 ஏப்ரல் 2011 (http://keetru.com/index.php/2009-10-07-10-31-20/09-sp-521176962/1537-2009-12-06-11-01-52 )
Columns on Nature, Society and Youth Responsibilities (only a representative list)
- Voice for the Youth , Indian Express – student edition
- Stereotyping a generation? The New Indian Express – Student Edition, June 20, 2012
- Join the turtle walk, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, July 4, 2012
- Troubled or normal? The New Indian Express – Student Edition, August 29, 2012
- Educated or literate? The New Indian Express – Student Edition, September 12, 2012
- Let’s clean our beaches, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, October 10, 2012
- Follow your passion, but practically, The New Indian Express – Student Edition,November 21, 2012
- Scrap that plastic bag, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, January 9, 2013
- Social networking an addiction?. The New Indian Express – Student Edition, January 23, 2013
- Don’t let your anger control you, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, February 6, 2013
- Is it just another day? The New Indian Express – Student Edition, February 20, 2013
- Be special, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, March 6, 2013
- Love thy country, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, March 20, 2013
- Accept change to grow, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, November 6, 2013
- People Who ‘Belong’ Build a Better Society. The New Indian Express – Student Edition, January 10, 2013
- Give the elders their due, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, October 9, 2013
- Plant trees; One person can make a difference, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, July 24, 2013
- To have or not to have pets, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, September 4, 2013
- Learning to say no when you have to, The New Indian Express – Student Edition November 20, 2013,
- The horror of wasting food, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, September 18, 2013
- Be an early bird, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, October 23, 2013
- Environment education – Just another subject? The New Indian Express – Student Edition, July 10, 2013
- With Hard Work and Self Belief You Can Innovate Tool, The New Indian Express – Student Edition, March 12, 2014
- Shun Self Doubt, Don’t be Your Own Enemy! / 26th February 2014, The New Indian – Student Edition, February 26, 2014
Courses / Workshops / Educational Fairs attended
Theaterrific-3 day workshop on Theater and Communication Madras Christian Collge, Chennai 21,22,23November 2017
Case Method of Teaching Xavier Institute of Management & Entrepreneurship 11th & 12th December 2017.
• A workshop on “Dictionaries and Grammars – Indispensable Tools for English Language Teaching” on 27th November, 2013 at Anna University College of Engineering, Chennai
• ‘Soft skills Training’ organized by CTS on 4th and 5th September 2008
• ‘Training the Trainers Program’ organized by Ajuba on 4th and 5th March 2008
• represented SVCE at EDUTECH 2005 – The International Education and Information Technology Exhibition held at Abu Dhabi, UAE during 21 – 24 March 2005.
• represented SVCE at GETX 2005 – Organized by International Conferences and Exhibitions (IC&E) at the Dubai International Exhibition Centre, Dubai, UAE during April 12 – 14 2005
• represented SVCE at International Education Fair 2005 – Organized by International Conferences and Exhibitions (IC&E) at Colombo, Sri Lanka during April 12 – 14 2005
• ‘Water Summit 2002’ organized by CII at Taj Coromandel, Chennai on 15 March 2002
• ‘Use of Educational Technology in the Teaching of English?’ A two-day workshop for Teachers of English, held at Vasavi College of Engineering, Hyderabad, 1-2? July 2002
• ‘International Conference on Educational Culture’ in the 21st Century held at Guwahati, Assam on 29-31 January 1999
• ‘National Conference on ELT in Engineering Colleges’ organized by Department of HSS, Anna University, Chennai during 26-27 March 1998
• ‘Counseling skills in Workplace’ conducted by Madras Management Association – 29 November 1997
• ‘Seminar on Rabindranath Tagore’ organized by Pachaiyappa’s College, Chennai July 1996
• ‘Seminar on 20th Century American Literature’ organized by Pachaiyappa’s College, Chennai, 6 October 1995
• ‘Professional Development Progress’ organized by SVCE, April 11-15 1994.
Head of the Department
CARE-College ECO Club
Staff Advisor – Students Association
Staff Advisor: Speakers Forum
Staff Advisor: Phoenix (College Magazine)
Counselor: Final Year Students
Teacher for Peace Award 2019 by Gandian Peace Foundation, India
Wipro Earthian Award 2015
Certificate of Achievement Handprint Challenge 2014 by SAYEN & UNEP
Wipro Earthian Award 2012
Inclusion of Name in Who is Who in the World 2011
CTS Best Faculty Award 2010
Exceptional Service Award at Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering 1995
Batch Topper 1985