In today’s techno-savvy era, Science and Technology revolutionized every nook and corner of the world. Therefore, Biotechnology is also mushrooming everywhere. In the Biotechnology field, biosciences and technology manipulate living organisms as well as the biological system to compose products which are very beneficial for mankind. This programme is totally related to food, agriculture, healthcare, environmental, pharmaceutical, etc. In this article, you can check the Biotechnology scope in brief.
It is related to R&D in biological sciences and Industrial processes. Almost all work and procedures are carried out in private and government laboratories. There is also the Industrial process that works on Vaccination techniques and Drugs. Students can choose a career in biotechnology, which is a good and job oriented option for the Individual.
Biotechnology Jobs in India
After completing the program in biotechnology, one needs not to be worried regarding the job perspective. Students get a job in private sectors like biotechnology specialists, safety experts, biologists, research analysts or scientific writers in the private sector. The main companies in the private segment are biochemical firms, food processing companies, healthcare industries and pharmaceutical companies.
There are several job prospects in government sectors as well. Graduate Students also have many options in research and development, government laboratories, centers and institutes, bioprocessing companies, government universities, and colleges, government-owned pharmaceutical companies, hospitals.
After completion, of course, anyone can be appointed as
Ø Process Engineer
Ø Clinical Research Manager
Ø Scientific Assistant
Ø Research Analyst
Ø Calibration Technician
The key areas of research are:
Ø Medical Biotechnology
Ø Tissue Engineering & Stem Cell Technology
Ø Genetic Engineering
Ø Protein Engineering
Ø Food Biotechnology
Ø Plant & Animal Biotechnology
Ø Environmental Biotechnology
Ø Applied Microbiology
Ø Bioinformatics and Computational Systems Biotechnology
Ø Bioprocess & Bioseparation Engineering
Ø Natural Medicine
There are many organizations that offer decent job opportunities in India. After doing the programme in biotechnology, one can find jobs in the field of
- Drugs and Pharmaceuticals
- Food Processing
- Biochemicals & Bioplastics
- Biofuels & Bioenergy
- Medical writing
- Waste Management
- R&D in Government institutions and organizations
- R&D in Agriculture Institutes
These fields offer Biotechnology careers with the best salary in the Government and private sectors. Drug companies also offer biotechnology professionals an exciting salary package. There is also scope in the field of textile, healthcare, environment, etc. One can even take a specialization in one or more sub-fields like genomics, proteomics, and bioinformatics. This gains the chance of setting firm career roots in the field.
Other Job Opportunities
Professionals can work in many organizations under the following positions (but not limited to)
Ø Research Analyst
Ø Research Associate
Ø Bioprocess Engineers
Ø Biological Technician
Ø Healthcare Professionals
Ø R&D and Process Development Scientists
Ø Medical Coding Analyst
Ø Genetic Counsellors
Ø Clinical Analyst
Required Skill sets for Biotechnology industry jobs
Biotechnology engineers tend to work with a broad range of medical, technical and admin professionals. The key skill sets include:
Ø Tissue culture is one of the most widely used techniques in any biological or biomedical research laboratory. If you are looking for a placement or job, tissue culture will be a very valuable biotechnology skill to have.
Ø PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) is a technique used to make many copies of a specific DNA region in vitro.
Ø Gel electrophoresis is another widely used technique in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics and modern biotechnology.
Ø Western blot, also known as protein immunoblot, is a popular molecular biology technique for the detection and analysis of proteins based on their ability to bind to specific antibodies.
Ø ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) is a popular format of “wet-lab” type analytical biochemistry assay that uses a solid-phase enzyme immunoassay (EIA) to detect the presence of a substance, usually an antigen (peptides, proteins, antibodies and hormones), in a liquid sample or wet sample.
Ø Molecular cloning or simply gene cloning is a molecular biology technique that is used to assemble recombinant DNA molecules and to direct their replication within host organisms.
Ø Flow cytometry is a laser-or impedance-based technique used in cell counting, cell sorting, biomarker detection and protein engineering, by suspending cells in a stream of fluid and passing them through an electronic detection apparatus.
Ø Mass spectrometry (MS) is an analytical technique that ionises chemical species and sorts the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio.
Ø Confocal microscopy is an optical imaging technique for increasing optical resolution and contrast of a micrograph by means of adding a spatial pin-hole placed at the confocal plane of the lens to eliminate out-of-focus light.
Ø Cell-based assays are extremely useful for studying cellular mechanisms in a biological context.
Ø Bioreactors are extremely useful for the production of bio-products using microbes, mammalian cell, plant and animal cells.
Ø Chromatographic techniques are a separation techniques used for the purification of biomolecules for its intended applications.
Ø Experimental animal studies related to pre-clinical medicine.
Ø Bioremediation is a process used for the treatment of wastewater using biologics.
Ø Medicinal plant compound identification.
Ø Apart from the wet lab techniques, data analysis using appropriate statistical methods and software is very important in biotechnology and medical research.
Why to join Biotechnology at SVCE?
The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2005 and it is one of pioneer departments in India offering B.Tech. in Biotechnology.
- The B.TechBiotechnology programme has been accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) since 2014.
- The department is recognized as a Research Centre by Anna University, Chennai from 2011 to carry out PhD programme.
- The Department frequently conducts various workshops, conferences, short-term training courses, popular lectures and faculty development programmeswith sponsorship from various funding agencies like DBT, CSIR & ICMR, AICTE, EDII, etc.
- The department offers ~100% placement for the students opted for placement in core and allied industries like M/s. ZifoRnD Solutions, M/s. AstraZeneca India, M/s. AGS Healthcare, M/s. MuSigma, M/s. Cognizant, M/s. Accenture, M/s. Infosys, M/s. Wipro, M/s. Tata Consultancy Services, M/s. Think & Learn, etc.
- Around 40-50% of our alumni are pursuing higher studies in abroad Universities like University of Texas at Dallas, Johns Hopkins University, University of Illinois at Chicago, Pittsburg State University, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois Institute of Technology at Chicago, State University of New York at Buffalo, University of Maryland, USA; University of Bonn, Christian-Albrecht University of Kiel, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany; Uppsala University, Lund University, Sweden; Centennial College, Canada; Deakin University, RMIT University, Australia; National University of Singapore, Singapore, etc.
- The department has world class laboratories in
- a)Immunology Laboratory
- b)Genetic Engineering and Molecular Biology Laboratory
- c)CPCSEA Approved Animal House Facility
- d)Computational Systems Biotechnology Laboratory
- e)Research Laboratory
- f)Bioprocess and Downstream Processing Laboratory
- g)Bioinformatics Laboratory
- h)Bioorganic Chemistry and Biochemistry Laboratory
- i)Microbiology and Cell Biology Laboratory
- j)Instrumental Methods of Analysis Laboratory
This facility provides Handling and Immunization of Laboratory Small animals like Mice, Rat, Guinea pig and Rabbit for Laboratory, student projects and research purposes.
- The Department has a Committee for the Purpose of Control and Supervision of Experiments on Animals (CPCSEA) approved Animal house facility since 2010.
- The Department has Cognizant Technology Solutions sponsored Computational Systems Biotechnology Laboratory to carry out students projects and research.
- The Department has ~60% faculty members with PhD, ~25% faculty pursuing PhD and an experienced Visiting Professor and Adjunct Professor.
- Research areas includes
a) Immunology and Immuno-technology
b) Degenerative Diseases and Regenerative Medicine (Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular, Arthritis, Kidney stones, Peptic ulcer and Brain disorders) in Laboratory small Animals & its treatment strategies using pre and post-treatment (Clinical Biochemistry) and Stem Cell Therapy.
c) Molecular and Synthetic Biology
d) Genetic Engineering and rDNA Technology
e) Microbial Technology & Metagenomics
f) Bioprocess Engineering & BioseparationTechniques
g) Food Biotechnology
h) Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
i) Metabolic Engineering
j) Aquatic Fish Toxicology
k) Computational Systems Biotechnology
l) Environmental Biotechnology and Bioremediation
m) Algal Biotechnology
n) Nano-Biotechnology and Drug Delivery
o) Biophysics and Structural Biology
p) Protein Engineering
q) Herbal medicine and Antioxidants Research
The Department of Biotechnology has received a total grant of Rs.1.2 Crore from various external funding agencies such as SERB-DST, DBT, ICMR, CSIR, AICTE, MSME, TNSCST, M/s. Lifecell International Pvt. Ltd., Chennai; M/s. Lucas TVS, Chennai; M/s. Centre for Medical Genetics, Chennai; M/s. Eppendorf India Ltd., Chennai & M/s. LevimBiotech, Chennai.
Department of Biotechnology has carried out consultancy work to PeriyarManiammai Institute of Science & Technology, Thanjavur; Indira Gandhi Open University, Chennai; Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Thandalam; CEO Skill foundations Pvt. Ltd, Chennai; Jeppiaar Engineering College, Chennai and CPS Global School, Chennai during the last three years for an amount Rs. 1,03,450/-.
The Department of Biotechnology has signed MOU with
a)London South Bank University, UK, for Cooperation, collaboration and exchange of academic, research programmes, faculty and students.
b)M/s. Innovative Health Care Limited, Chennai for R&D programmesbeneficial to scientific community and industry.
c)M/s. Kumar Organic Products Limited, Bengaluru for R&D programmesbeneficial to the scientific community and industry.
d)M/s. BrainWaveBiosolutions Limited, Chennai for R&D programmes beneficial to the scientific community and industry.
e)M/s. BiokloneBiotech Private Limited, Chennai for R&D programmes beneficial to the scientific community and industry.
f)M/s. MalcolakKnowledge Center, Hyderabad for R&D programmes beneficial to the scientific community and industry.
g)M/s. VClinBioPrivate Limited, Chennai for R&D programmes beneficial to the scientific community and industry.
h)M/s. Cognizant Technology Solutions, for Students Scholarships Tuition fee for one PG 1styear and 2nd
i)M/s. Manya-The Princeton Review, Chennai to conduct Test-Prep program for GRE, TOFEL and IELTS.
j)M/s. ValingroExponents Private Limited, Chennai, (Springboards) for SATY Summer Camp for School Children.
k)M/s. ABAN Infrastructure Limited, Chennai, for Collaborative research work in the areas of Biofuel Technology, Bioenergy from algae and microbes.
l)M/s. EntraynEducation Technologies Pvt. Ltd., Chennai to conduct Test-Prep program for GRE, TOFEL and IELTS.