About the Department
Department of Chemical Engineering came into existence in the year 1994 with the B.Tech programme in Chemical Engineering. The Department has highly qualified and experienced faculty and staff and has modern infrastructural facilities.
The department is well equipped with excellent lab facilities.All the faculty members possess post graduate / Ph.D. qualifications, five faculty members are pursuing their Ph.D.
The Department has been accredited till 30.06.2025 by the National Board of Accreditation.
Programmes run by the department are,
To be a leader in Chemical Engineering Education and Research by providing balanced learning and fostering research to enable the learners to meet the challenges of process industries and societal needs.
M1: Department of Chemical Engineering strives to produce graduates who practice Chemical Engineering professionally and ethically.
M2: In a competitive global environment, Graduates contribute to the betterment of society.
M3: Focuses on the development of engineers to foster innovation through proficiency and effective communication.
B.Tech Chemical Engineering
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
PEO 1: Equip students with the necessary skills and knowledge to prosper in their career in Chemical Engineering and related domains.
PEO 2: Encourage students to Pursue advanced learning and engage in research with internationally acclaimed institutions and foster professional growth.
PEO 3: Empower students with leadership qualities to succeed in diversified fields with ethical administrative acumen and adapt to the rapid technological advancements and innovations.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (PO’s)
PO GRADUATE ATTRIBUTES
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design / development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
1. Apply the knowledge of science and mathematics in the field of various transport processes to accomplish the contemporary needs of chemical and allied industries.
2. Execute the chemical engineering principles and modern engineering tools to conduct experiments or design a system for developing quality chemical processes by considering the cost, safety and environmental aspects.
M.Tech Chemical Engineering
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
PEO1: Function effectively to solve complex industrial problems using Chemical engineering concepts and also in expanding areas of Energy and Environmental industries.
PEO2: Pursue their careers in Research and Development towards an advanced degree in Chemical engineering and allied technical discipline.
PEO3: To become Professional Leaders in the complex work environment.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs)
PO GRADUATE ATTRIBUTES
1. Independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
2. Write and present a substantial technical report/document.
3. Demonstrate a degree of proficiency over the area as per the specialization of the program. The proficiency should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program
4. Potential to analyze solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety.
5. Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
6. Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
After the successful completion of the course, the students:
PSO1: Apply the knowledge of science and mathematics in the field of various chemical engineering processes to accomplish the contemporary needs of chemical and allied industries.
PSO2: Usage of modern engineering tools to design and conduct experiments to develop quality chemical processes by considering the cost, safety and environmental aspects.
PEO's-PO's & PSO's MAPPING:
|2022||Dr. C. Anand Babu, Mrs. S. Swathi, Former, Mr. L.S. Badhri Narayanan, Dr. N. Meyyappan filed an Indian patent titled, "Laboratory Scale Invertible and Constant Flow Resin Column" in the name of Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering on 28/04/2018 and has been published on 17/05/2022, with the patent number 396960.|
|2022||MoU Signed with PRECISION EQUIPMENTS (CHENNAI) PVT LTD. on 09.02.2022|
|2020||MoU Signed with INDCZECH Engineering Pvt. Ltd., on 12.02.2020|
|2020||The SVCE Student Chapter of American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) was established on 10.01.2020|
|2019||The research centre of our department was renewed by Anna University for M.S and Ph.D program till December 2022.|
|2019||AICTE Sponsored six days a short term training programme (STTP) on "Instrumental methods of Analysis" from 4th to 9th November 2019|
|2019||Mr. Himanshu Dashora, Fullbright Scholar from Johns Hopkins University, USA completed the project titled “Cell-Cell Interaction Systems with Mesenchymal Stem Cells” under the mentorship of Prof. Nalinkanth V. Ghone in the Department of Chemical Engineering with a fellowship amount worth of *Rs 10,00,000 /-* from United States - India Educational Foundation (USIEF) for a period of nine months (Sept 2018 to May 2019).|
|2018||Ms. G. Havisha, Mr.M Asifullah, Ms. E. Lavanya, Dr N.Meyyappan and Dr. D. G. Rao, filed an Indian patent titled "process for the preparation of fruit toffees by microwave heating" in the name of Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering on 14/10/2016 and has been published on 20/4/2018, with the patent number 350323.|
|2018||MoU signed with Thirumalai Chemicals Limited, Ranipet on 5th March 2018 (INR 1,67,707).|
|2018||NBA team visited the Department on 15th June 2018 for accreditation. Department accredited for 3 years from till July 2021.|
|2018||DST- FIST Sponsored Nano Research projects worth INR 80 lakhs across departments bringing together R&D activities at SVCE|
|2016||The research centre of our department was renewed by Anna University for M.S and Ph.D program till December 2019.|
|2017||Received a grant of INR 20.2 Lakh from IGCAR, Kalpakkam "Recovery of acid and useful metals from Pickling Effluents generated at Nuclear Fuel Complex (NFC)"|
|2017||Received Rs. 500,000 under MSME Funded Project entitled "Equipment for HIGH PURE WATER" under Technology Incubation Center of SVCE|
|2017||MoU Signed with ABAN INFRASTRUCTURE LTD., (R&D-BIOTECHNOLOGY DIVISION) on 19.05.2017|
|2015||CTS Sponsored Process Modelling and Simulation laboratory worth 7 Lakhs is established|
|2015||AICTE - Seminar Grant entitled "Advances in Computational Methods for Simulation of Transport Processes in Engineering" from ( 24th - 26th June): Rs.1.80 lakhs .|
|2015||MoU signed with M/s.Phycospectrum Environmental Research Centre (PERC)-Chennai on 05.01.2015.|
|2014||MoU signed with M/s. Malkolak Knowledge Centre, Hyderabad on 12.09.2014.|
|2014||The research centre of our department was renewed by Anna University for M.S and Ph.D program till December 2016.|
|2013||Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers - SVCE Student Chapter of SVCE received “The Ambuja’s Best Student Chapter Award”– Second Place|
|2013||AICTE - RPS ( Research Promotion Scheme) entitled "Dynamic Modeling and Control of Direct Methanol Fuel Cell" : Rs.4.77 lakhs.DMI|
|2013||AICTE - Seminar Grant entitled "Contemporary Research and Practices in Pollutant Elimination Systems towards Cleaner Environment" from ( 20th - 26th May): Rs.1.75 lakhs .|
|2012||Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers - SVCE Student Chapter of SVCE received “The Ambuja’s Best Student Chapter Award”– First Place|
|2011-2012||AICTE sponsored Rs.14.39 lakhs under MODROBS scheme for the Modernization of Heat Transfer Operations Laboratory.|
|2012||Tamil Nadu State Council for Science and Technology (TNSCST) sponsored Rs.6000 for the student project titled "Thermal Conservation by Vacuum Insulation".|
|2011||Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers - SVCE Student Chapter of SVCE received “Pidilite Industries Best Student Chapter Award” – First Place.|
|2011||MoU signed with Southern Petrochemical Industries Corporation on 24.09.2011|
|2011||The department has been recognized as research centre for M.S and Ph.D program from 05 April 2011 (valid till 5 April 2014).|
|2011||Started M.Tech Chemical Engineering Program|
|2011||NBA team visited the Department on 11th – 12th, March for accreditation. Department accredited for 3 years from 16.09.2011 to 15.09.2014.|
|2010||Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers - SVCE Student Chapter of SVCE received “Pidilite Industries Best Student Chapter Award” – First Place.|
|2009||Up gradation of prototype Distributed Control System from µXL to CENTUM 3000|
|2009||Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers - SVCE Student Chapter of SVCE received “The Ambuja’s Best Student Chapter Award” – First Place|
|2008||Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers - SVCE Student Chapter of SVCE received “The Ambuja’s Best Student Chapter Award”– First Place|
|2007||AICTE sponsored Rs.7.5 lakhs under MODROBS scheme for the Modernization of Chemical Reaction Engineering Laboratory.|
|2006||Consultancy provided to “Process Design & Size of Grinding Unit, M/s. Guidelines Inc, USA for an amount of USD 240|
|2006||Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers - SVCE Student Chapter of SVCE received “Pidilite Industries Best Student Chapter Award “ – First Place.|
|2006||MoU signed with SPIC Science Foundation on 10.08.2006.|
|2006||NBA Team visited the department on 19-21st Jan 2006 for Accreditation. Department accredited for 3 years from 27.07.2006 to 26.07.2009|
|2005||Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers - SVCE Student Chapter of SVCE received “The Ambuja’s Best Student Chapter Award” – Second Place|
|2005||Consultancy (Rs.1.25 lakhs) to Advice Sync for providing expert services in identifying and defining a model for monitoring of a Cement Plant (client - Tata Chemicals)|
|2005||MoU signed with (i) Manali Petrochemical Ltd, Chennai on 30.06.2005. (ii) Tuticorin Alkali Chemicals & Fertilizers Ltd,Tuticorin on 04.07.2005. (iii) Tamil Nadu Petro products Ltd (TPL), Chennai on 23.08.2005|
|2003||MoU signed with Central Leather Research Institute on 16.01.2003.|
|2003||AICTE sponsored 11.7 lakhs under MODROBS scheme for the modernization of Process Control Laboratory.|
|2002||NBA team visited the Department on 14th – 15th, Feb for accreditation. Department Accredited - B Grade, from 24.04.2002 to 23.04.2005 for 3 years|
|2002||Establishment of Process Control Laboratory.|
|2001||Tamil Nadu State Council for Science and Technology (TNSCST) sponsored Rs.5000 for the student project titled "Bio-Conversion of Phenol by using Polyphenol Oxidase".|
|1999||AICTE sponsored Rs.5.5 lakhs under MODROBS scheme for establishing Computer Aided Process and Equipment Design System.|
|1998||Ms. Vidya Krishnan – Gold Medal – Madras University|
|1998||First batch students passed out.|
|1997||Installation of prototype µXL Distributed Control System.|
|1996||Department Laboratories Established.|
|1995||Dr. G. S. Laddha , former Director, A.C. College of Technology inaugurated the Association of Chemical Technologists and Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers - SVCE Student Chapter.|